austria fast facts
-1ºC -20ºC – Average Temperature
German – The language spoken in Austria is German
Tourist Info – Visit https://www.austria.info/en for more information
2hrs – Average flight time
Currency – The currency used in Austria is the Euro (€)
Fly to – Salzburg Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (SZG) is the main airport for the region
HISTORY & HERITAGE
With the Alps stretching across a vast swathe of the country, Austria is a haven for skiers and hikers, but it’s also known for its cultural attractions. As the home of classical greats Mozart, Haydn and Schubert and the Von Trapp family, whose story was told in The Sound of Music, Austria has a rich musical heritage. Salzburg is the place to trace some of this musical history: a storybook city where visitors are also enchanted by the palaces and spires of its Altstadt (old town) and formidable cliff-top fortress. It’s especially enchanting around Christmas, when the air is filled with the smell of punch and almonds and twinkly festive markets take place.
FOOD & DRINK IN AUSTRIA
Austria’s ski resorts are well known for their welcoming atmosphere and fantastic mountain fare. Dining spots dish up traditional hearty dishes such as sausages, platters of mountain cheeses and wiener schnitzel, a thin, breaded and pan-fried veal or pork cutlet often served with potato salad. Although the true origin of the schnitzel is up for much debate, Austrians, particularly the Viennese, have taken this speciality very much to their hearts. Save room for a slice of apple strudel, the famous apple and cinnamon-sugar pastry, or Linzer torte. Tipple-wise, a steaming hot mug of glühwein at a cosy mountain hut is a must. Guten appetit!
- Discovering the Baroque palaces and drool-worthy pastries of Vienna
- Falling under the spell of Salzburg
- Admiring the sparkling waters of Lake Worthersee
- Soaking up the epic views from Grossglockner, Austria’s highest mountain
- Cruising along the cinematic Villach Alpine Road
- Hiring electric boats at Schwarzsee and enjoying the lakeside woodland walk
- Cosying up in a traditional restaurant to sample belly- and soul-warming local favourites
- Picking up a bottle or two at the wineries of Burgenland.
Be the first to hear about our special offers and news.
* indicates required fields